My Support Plans

What is a My Support Plan?

By January 2015, school action and school action plus will be replaced with a SEN support category. A My Support Plan is our way of supporting families who fall into this category. These are young people who do not meet the criteria for a My EHC Plan.

At this level, a Lead Worker will not be involved, but a My Support Plan can be completed by an educational setting or another professional working with a young person and used to plan and co-ordinate their support.

Download our My Support Plan – V9 October 2015

Who will have a My Support Plan?

Just like My Plans, My Support Plans are person centred and outcome focused. This means they are designed to concentrate on individual needs and prioritise the things that important to, and important for, an individual. If used properly, My EHC Plans and My Support Plans should evolve with an individual.

We have tried to capture some of the issues and outcomes that young people and their support network might like to think about at different stages of life:

What should you do if you think your child needs a My Support Plan?

Talk to your child’s school or early years setting. Although our Lead Workers will not be involved in writing a My Support Plan, because it is not statutory, they may still be able to give advice if you call our Single Point of Contact.

What is the connection between a My EHC Plan and a My Support Plan?

A My Support Plan is not a legally binding plan, so not all schools will complete one and some will have their own approach to this level of support. However, we have tried to design a My Support Plan to match up as closely as possible with a My EHC Plan, so that if a young person’s needs increase , their support can be delivered without interruption.

Download our guide ‘How a My EHC Plan is created‘.

Early Help CAF or a My Support Plan?

Many queries have been raised as to which process should be followed for a child or young person – an Early Help CAF or a My Support Plan?  This depends on the individual child/young person and the situation but essentially the important thing to remember is to be person-centred and to meet the best needs of the child/young person.  To help with deciding which is the best process to follow, Wiltshire Council have created a thresholds guidance  document (December 2014) and a quick assessment tool (to be launched early 2015) which can be accessed through the Wiltshire Pathways website.

Registering an Early Help CAF or My Support Plan

All Early Help CAFs and My Support Plans need to be registered (as highlighted on page 11 of the thresholds  guidance) and consent given by the parent/carer or young person.  Please ensure that you have a signed consent form by the appropriate person.

An Early Help CAF or My Support Plan should be registered by sending a copy to:

DCE Coordination
Wiltshire Council
Bythesea Road
BA14 8JN


Cartoon representation of Wiltshire
Wiltshire Council